Our Supportability Wheelers project offers weekly cycling opportunities throughout the year for disabled and able bodied adults, children & young People. The Project has a variety of adapted cycles to enable individuals of all abilities to experience and enjoy cycling.
This is where our very own Paralympion Katie Toft who has Cerebral Palsy started her cycling days. Since those early days Katie has developed her passion for cycling and gone on to become a triple National Champion Cyclist and competing in world class Paracycling events.
Many of the disabled children and adults who use the project have complex needs. The sessions are also open to older people and to people who are rehabilitating from injury. The cycles are specially adapted, so everyone can join in and have fun, whilst getting some healthy exercise!
Over the past year nearly 400 disabled adults and 125 disabled children have accessed Supportability Wheelers disability cycling sessions at Woodbank Park.
AIMS OF SUPPORTABILITY WHEELERS DISABLED CYCLING PROJECT
- Extend opportunity and choice for disabled children and adults
- Promote health and well-being through sporting activity
- Improve self-esteem and confidence
- Build new skills and provide opportunities for disabled people to volunteer
- Enable participants to enjoy themselves and have fun
- Reduce social isolation by enabling social networking and helping to build friendships
- Build on excising interests or develop new interests as well as enabling participants to progress, if they so choose, to “mainstream” providers of leisure services
- Provide parents and carers with a break from their caring role
We also run the Wheelers Café “drop in” during the disability cycling sessions so that parents, carers and cyclists can meet and socialise.
If you’re interested in purchasing our disability cycling service, get in touch today.
SERVICE FEES AND GRANTS
Some of our services do receive grants from local authorities or charitable trusts which help keep costs reasonable. Many children and families receive assistance through Local Authorities and Health Services.
If you have an Individual Budget but don’t want to manage it yourself, we can do this for you.
We’ll make sure you know exactly how this is used and what it is spent on – whether you are only purchasing services from us, or from a range of providers.